Tuesday, November 29, 2011

The Advent Event

Yesterday I decided that I better get to crackin on that Advent Calendar I had been planning to do.  I mean I started planning this a few weeks ago thinking that I had PLENTY of time to make it.  Well, December is slowly sneaking up on me!  I started off with the idea that I was going to sew it using Christmas material.  I sketched it out and had a plan ready.  Problem was, I didn't have any Christmas material.  Solved that problem when we visited family in Ohio over the weekend and went to a Joann's fabric there.  They had some Christmas fabric for $2.50/yard!  I couldn't pass it up!  So I purchased more than enough to make the Advent Calendar. 

I had Monday off and was all set to make the calendar.  However, I was tired.  I mean really tired.  I laid my fabric out, got out my cutting equipment, had my sketch and notes by my side and was set to jump in.  But I was tired.  Did I say that already?  I thought, there has got to be a quicker, easier way to do this.  Then I thought about a family calendar I made last year using a cookie sheet, scrapbook paper and magnets.  Ah ha!  This would be easier AND the kids can help (which may or may not be quicker).  I was excited about my idea, searched Pinterest for ideas - there were a few but nothing I was excited about, threw my clothes on and went shopping for supplies.

As I finished up shopping for my supplies and searching for some sparkly dress shoes for myself, I was getting excited about having the girls involved with this craft.  While they did their homework I set up our work station.  Dinner was in the crock pot so I didn't have to worry about that. 

The girls totally didn't get my explanation of what we were doing but they were eager to help.  Armed with scissors, scrap book paper, clear stones, stickers and glue I got them started on making the numbers.


They worked really hard . . .


Were very quiet . . .


Didn't argue or fight . . . 


And were super cute while doing their job.
It went really quickly!  The girls did a great job with their part and I got the rest of the board ready.  Before we knew it we had it done! 


 The girls put number stickers on pretty paper . . .


glued the numbers to the back of a clear stone . . .

 

I hot glued a magnet to the back of the finished stone . . .


we added some extra stickers . . .


 tied a pretty bow . . .


And there we go!!  Our finished Advent Calendar :)

It's not perfect but it's ours and I think it's lovely!  The girls are very excited about it.  The funny part is, I haven't even printed the activity cards for each day yet!  They don't even know they will have something fun to do each day counting down to Christmas :)

BTW . . . anyone know where I can get sparkly flat shoes for myself??

No comments:

Post a Comment