Sunday, January 15, 2012

Finally . . .

 I finally got to bring home a piece of furniture that has been sitting at my Mom's house for a while.  It is a cabinet that belonged to my Grandmother.  I know my Mom is thrilled to have it out of her garage!  I went over to Mom's house yesterday to get it but before it was loaded into the van (yes, it fit in the van!) I got to spend some time with my Mom cleaning the cabinet.  I know that sounds silly but it was nice to be able to have a conversation with her without kids interrupting every few seconds :)  I was expecting the cabinet to be really dusty, dirty and covered with spider webs from sitting such a long time in her garage but it was surprisingly clean.  Not a single cobweb or spider web!



We wiped it down with warm water and vinegar to get the dingy grime off. It cleaned up nicely.  I really thought I was going to have to give it a complete overhaul stripping and repainting but I think it looks great the way it is.  Yes, there are a few places where the paint it chipping and the sicker design on the windows is pealing but this is what gives it character, right?


I couldn't wait to load it up with my turquoise pottery.  I have more packed in boxes that I need to get out of the garage.  Maybe I'll do that next weekend.  I'm still not sure about the red.  It may be growing on me . . . We'll see. . .







No comments:

Post a Comment